Wednesday, 28 October 2009

NaNoWriMo Prompts!

I'm planning to post a prompt or dare each day in November. So if you get stuck in your novel and don't know how to go on you can come here for quick (and possibly silly) prompts to keep you going.

Of course many of us (myself included) intend to write a serious first draft and can't just have the MC's aunt perform a handstand in the middle of a funeral. Or your novel is set in space and there's no way you can import a lion from earth just because my dare tells you to.

But I believe that even the silliest prompt or dare can give you good and serious ideas for your writing. Your MC, at the funeral, might remember an aunt's handstand - she was a gymnast. Or your character in space might encounter a picture of a lion which makes her think about home and how terribly far away from it she is... And even if all you think is, "What nonsense! That doesn't fit into my novel", sometimes it can still make you think about what DOES fit into your novel and this point and get you going again.

I will do my very best to post every single day of November, but I will have other obligations besides NaNoWriMo, of course, so I can't promise anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment